What is Magnesium Nitride?
Magnesium Nitride is an inorganic compound with the chemical formula Mg3N2. It’s part a cluster of cubic crystals. At ambient temperature, magnesium nutridide is a bright yellow-green color however, magnesium nitride that contains some impurities of magnesium oxide is grayish white.
The Molar mass of magnesium Nitride is 100.95g/mol. This mineral’s density is 2.712g/cm3. Magnesium nitride is completely dissolved in water and acid but it is partially dissolved in alcohol and ether.
The melting point of magnesium nitride reaches 1500 degrees. Magnesium, like other metal nitrides, reacts water to form ammonia. It is commonly used as a catalyst. They react with acid or nonmetallic oxidants to form ammonium salts and magnesium salts.
Magnesium Nitride is a clay-like substance found in nature. Magnesium nitride is highly resistant to corrosion resistance, and significantly improves the efficiency of production. Magnesium has high thermal conductivity as well having a high resistance to corrosion and resistance to temperature. Magnesium Nitride has an additional significance because it serves as a catalyst used in the creation of boron nitrogen.
What is Magnesium Nitride Used For?
1. It is used as a catalyst to make the nitride out of other elements that have high hardness and thermal conductivity. It is also a good choice for corrosion resistance, wear resistance and extremely high resistance to temperature. In the first successful synthesizing of cubic boron an active catalyst came from magnesium nitride.
2. Useful for high strength steel alloys for smelting. Magnesium Nitride (Mg3N2) is a substitute for desulphurized magnesium during construction steel melts, which is helpful to increase the density, strength as well as the bearing force of steel. In addition, the use of magnesium Nitride (Mg3N2) desulfurization can reduce the use of other components, thereby helping reduce the cost of manufacturing construction steel;
3. The use of ceramic is to prepare specific materials;
4. In the process of making a special alloy foaming agent;
5. To make special glass
6. For crosslinking with catalytic polymers
7. To recycle nuclear waste;
How do I Make Magnesium Nitride?
Presently, the most popular preparation methods of magnesium nitride include direct reaction method of magnesium powder with nitrogen, the method for resolving magnesium with nitrogen using nitrogen plasma flow and the magnesium coil explosion method in nitrogen atmosphere as well as low-pressure chemical gas complementing product method, self-propagating high temperature synthesis technique, nano magnesium nitride synthesizer as well as other methods.
Recently, G. Soto et al. made amorphous magnesium oxide films featuring different Mg:N ratios Si substrates in a nitrogen molecular atmosphere using in-situ pulse laser deposition. These methods restrict the industrial production of these films due to costs, lengthy processes with complex equipment, or a low yield of magnesium Nitride.
Although the direct reaction between magnesium powder in nitrogen has industrial value, the production of magnesium nitride requires higher reaction temperature and longer reaction time. Also, the shape of the particles is not clear and easy to agglomerate, which doesn’t meet needs of industrial grade. The decomposition of NH3 may be accomplished into Nbreaking bonds quicker than N2 and the decomposed H2 can stop the formation of MgO, which is why ammonia gas is a suitable nitrogen source. Chen Faqin et al. utilized liquid ammonia as a nitrogen source to make magnesium nitride powder through direct nutriding of magnesium. The following conclusions could be drawn: Based on thermodynamic study, liquid ammonia might react with magnesium powder more easily than nitrogen to produce magnesium nitride. High-quality magnesium nitride powder with an extremely high purity and uniform particles is prepared by heating to 600 and an ammonia atmosphere for 1 hour, and then heated to 800, ammonia flow rate of 500ml/min as well as the nitriding process takes 1 hour.
Magnesium Nitride Mg3N2 Supplier
We are a reliable global chemical material supplier and manufacturer that has more than 12 years’ experience providing super high-quality chemicals and nanomaterials, such as silicon powder Zinc sulfide, graphite calcium nitride 3D printing powder etc.
If you’re searching for high-quality Mg3N2 powder If you are interested, feel free to get in touch with us to send an inquiry. (email@example.com)