What is Boron Carbide?
Boron carburide (also known as black diamand) is a substance that has the molecular formula B4C. It’s a gray-black fine powder. It is among the three hardest substances known (the two others being diamond and cubic boron-nitride). Tank armor, bulletproof vests and other industrial uses are made of it. Boron carbide absorbs a lot of neutrons but does not produce radioisotopes. This makes it an ideal neutron absorption material for nuclear power plants. Neutron absorbers are used to regulate the rate of nuclear fusion. In the nuclear reactor sector, the main form of Boron carbide used is a controllable Rod shape. But sometimes it’s made into powder due to the increased surface area.
What are the main applications of Boron Carbide?
(1) The field is national defense. Bullet-proofing has been done with boron carbide ceramics since the 1960s. Comparing it to other materials, its characteristics are easy portability and high toughness. It is a key component of the lightweight armor used on armed helicopters as well as the bulletproof aircraft armor. The British used this material as a raw materials to manufacture armor that can protect against armor-piercing projectsiles.
(2) In terms or chemical raw materials. To increase the wear-resistance and strength of alloys, boron carbide is used as an alloy boronizing agent. This can be done by boronizing the metal surface, to generate a thin film of iron boride.
(3) Wear-resistant field. Boron carbide ceramics are visible in a number of industrial nozzles. These include desander nozzles to remove rust and nozzles designed for high-pressure water gun cutting. Many factories choose them because they have a long life and are cost-effective. . It can also be used to avoid pollution due to abrasive waste during grinding. As a diamond abrasive substitute, boron carbide can be used to reduce the cost of processing various metals as well as jade glass.
(4) Nuclear energy. Due to its excellent capacity for neutron absorbtion, boron carbide is often used as a neutron absorption control rod, safety rods, or other components in order to regulate the rate of nuclear fusion and protect human safety.
(5) Aviation. The boron carbide is an essential component in the navigational system of aircraft. It can increase the lifespan of the gyroscope.
(aka. Technology Co. Ltd., a reputable global chemical material manufacturer and supplier with more than 12 years experience in the production of high-quality nanomaterials and chemicals. The powder that we produce is of high purity with fine particles and low impurity. If you need lower, please call us.